Saturday, September 08, 2007

Twenty-2 hrs 2 oFF-ice

"Twenty-2 hrs 2 oFF-ice"
Begin of........."Twenty-2 hrs 2 oFF-ice".........
'T' ,this is the first word popped in my mind when i was about to start new season of blog.. so whats all fuzz about this 'T' even i don't know but things will be revealed in the next blog.

Most of you know about this so famous TV serial '24', The rush hour for the hunt and save the lives solve the case where each hour is counted and every second thrashes.

Here is my version of '24' in office, i Believe you might not have seen the amount of rush i have seen in my life 'nd just quoting one of my rush ... Which i call it as "Twenty-2 hrs 2 oFF-ice".

Start of........."Twenty-2 hrs 2 oFF-ice"........

Day one : 29th august 2007, Time: 05AM-06AM, Location : Howrah Station.
Surprised what am i doing in station, its return day form bokaro after Rakhi, well the home tour was even more rusty then what you are about to see and experience.

Well the day starts with cool guys at station, got a cab reached home easily by 5:45AM. Wow i don't remember the last day when i woke so early for a morning walk, the air was cool and wet shredding a naughty and warm feeling in me, the entire vision was clear. The sky was bit cloudy and little drizzle was all over. The best part was the beautiful morning smell which just clears your confused mind, when you feel free, tired less and floating.
Well all of this calmness was just a reminder for the forthcoming Cathrine

Time: 06AM-07AM, Location : in my room -New Town.
Finally I reached the home and luckily the room was open, as my room mates knew that i will be reaching room around 5 to 6. Without crashing their beautiful dreams i got in my flat.
I washed up myself from the so called cool journey of train and took a heavy shower.
Solved a day before KAKURO and lOOP in LOOP form the CT and had a glimpse of yesterday newspaper, some news and songs over TV. I had my belittled breakfast containing Tropicana Mango juice which were my asset in fighting with the cruel and crashed cases. I moved to my destination (Destination Office oFFice) to solve the open case and pick the case of the day.
Yes i launched myself in the early morning for the game about to begin. For information, my office is next to my colony where i live, 5 min walking distance.

Time: 07AM-08AM, Location : Office oFFice (IBM).
In the office: Most of you must be surprised why to oFFice at such a odd time, well as u know... "Jab kismat ho active to kya karoge ho kar reactive or proactive..." I means when all the odds are in yours favor then you needs no body luck.... let me through some background to all this happening.
I work in IBM-kolkata. Initially working only in one project, suddenly i got the chance to work in many other project simultaneously by the so called concept of Shared delivery. Well initially it was good to work in different projects, but the amount of work expanded and time-line declined. So to cope up i worked hard, as i had my policy that do not wait for time if you have job to do because once done you can sleep like a hell. The same thing happened when i was working with two projects NESTLE and PMI. Nestle being totally new ,the work involved a kind of R&D in code then to write down my code for full filling the requirement, so obviously it eats up a lot time, and PMI been cool till the day i took to doing a very high complex object well i wasn't aware that some thing could be so complex even. Seeing the complexity i defined the complexity as "Complexity – when this itself is so complex then you can understand how complex things complex things become when a complex word is attached to a complex problem, complex isn’t it. It’s very complex to understand the complexity because its born and build complex, I don’t know how the complexity is born but a complex-ity always grows complex".
It was 27th aug the day before the Rakhi when i got to complete a Nestle object before i could leave for bokaro. With full rush in my brain i some how managed to complete the program so that it can be sent for QA. Well the code was complete but not exactly appropriate for QA. (Quality and Analysis : A process for evaluation before a completed is marked for delivery).
The time I left for Howrah Station was 8:30PM and it took me 2hr to reach station anddddd i was back to howrah on 29th aug so in total how many hours i spent talking to my family .. Guess if you can ??

And since now i was back i got to complete the unfinished task, so back in the business.
I quickly reviewed the works left before leaving or rather say i went thru all the evidences for my first case which i left unsolved.

Time: 08AM-09AM, Location : Office oFFice (IBM).
With this hour entire evidences, issues and bugs had been fixed and so called object was ready for postmortem, thats what i call QA. Luckily or Unluckily the object was already sent QA, but lucky me the process of Postmortem wasn't started yet guess why, because i patched up the things well in time (The office time begins at 9:00AM).

Time: 09AM-09:30AM, Location : Office oFFice (IBM).
I Was taking a sign of relief, had a little chat with my colleague-come very good friend Pavan about what happened last day in the team as i missed lots of activities. There in the mean time i saw some manager with coat and tie, something popped in my mind is today something special going on in IBM and, as of the course yes, the NESTLE client for which even i works, was going to give a visit. For the god of being well dress, in contract i was in a T-shirt and jeans with chappals(rather say office slippers). See I got a run.
Guess what, when i was returning to home i was the only one flowing against the river, everyone was coming except me who was going.

Time: 09:30AM-10AM, Location : Back in the room.
All my room mate who works for the same project Nestle and one of my roommate was going in the same way as i had been. I quickly changed and took some lite breakfast and passed on this message that Nestle is giving a party, so most probably we would have dinner
So My roommate sanjay gave Bai(Maid work) off the for second half that means no dinner..

Time: 10AM-11AM, Location : Office oFFice (IBM).
I Rushed to office for the feedback for the work and to got any kind of update on project, thinking that we all will have dinner tonight with client. But GOD had some other master plans for me. The chaos all begins after reaching the office.

Chaos 1: the profile which was created for my object was actually suppose to be a change request rather than work request (Change request mean object already developed by someone and new changes are incorporated in it through my work ,while work request means fresh development).
Chaos 2: No party in the evening ie dinner, beccause we were supposed to attend a call for knowledge transfer ie no nestle party for me but my roommates will have.
Chaos 3: A new object was given to me, which was supposed to be delivered tomorrow as well.

For Chaos 3 we had little discussion over the new object about its functionality and process which need to be covered.
For Chaos 2 : As no dinner at home, simply because Bai got off for the second half . This means Chaos 2 ++.

Time: 11AM-12PM, Location : Office oFFice (IBM).
Now I started looking to resolve the Wrong profile, running form here and there in search for a solution . Finally some one rescued me, someone on whom i can alway put my blind trust, my Team lead Jatin Bhaiya and things got resolved more eaisly then my harsh expectation. A completed sign of relief.
After that i just wanted to have some good food as my stomach started to ache for foooooooood.
I gave a look to my object as well (Chaos 3) before lunch.

Time: 1PM-1:30PM, Location : Office oFFice (IBM).
I came to know about some chaos happening in object of other colleague, as she had to deliver her object for same project NESTLE by the end of the weekend. I had word with her tried to resolved something.. but things we were out of control because of the tedious process involved in NESTLE which eats ups brain and patience both.

Time: 1:30PM-2:30PM, Location : Home sweet Home (Lunch).
Ahhhhhh!! Lunch time finally something to eat, my stomach was crying like anything. I was hungry like mad dog. Had Chawal dal and lots of bhaatt while eating. Actually Bhaat helps a lot in digestion. heheeee..

Time: 2:30PM-3PM, Location : Back to postmortem oFFice .
Had a little rest in office gave a lazy look to new object thinking, peace maaroo ki sab ho jayega.. Well these half hours were mine most peaceful, lazy, sleepy and cool moments.

Time: 3PM-4PM, Location : Postmortem in Porgress in Off-ice.
My peace ful dream broke when sanjay gave me the call that he is going to Nestle party. Early i thought we all would go somewhere for dinner, but along with sanjay all other rommies were going for nestle party, i was all alone, and when i am along i loose the temptation for going anywhere.
For the deviation of thought from dinner, I inquired about the object over which i worked in the morning, the one which is already under postmortem (QA). Status was QA in progress.
For the change again i tried to dig into the problem faced by my colleague, and we had lots of discussion over the process of nestle and discussion result was Nestle Process Suxxs.

Time: 4PM-5PM, Location : Postmortem in Porgress in Off-ice.
My object was still under the eye of suspicion ie postmortem . I was eagerly waiting for the QA completion. In the mean i worked over my new object and tried to plan some ways to fix the problem.

Time: 5PM-6 to 7 PM, Location : My Postmortem in Knowledge Transfer from on-site guys.
It's because of this reason we were not able to attend the nestle party as well as i missed my dinner too, soul reason for chaos 2.
Well The KT(Knowledge transfer) session was a major successes and exhilarating, thats what they must be thinking, the on-site guys, but the irony was i feeling sleepy(Not had enough sleep in train) and big time bore. It was a successful operation in terms of postmortem and nothing touched to mind, simple reason was: the topic to be covered was not at all connected touched ever by me(may be because i was new to this project). How long it went i had no track of time as it was crying.
As the KT session finished I was reminded that i am working in some other project as well i had not done any thing in that for past 2-3 day because of full involvement in nestle project.
With hard broken heart and sleepy eyes i decided to do something before i leave for home and right after the KT, I left for another mission: Mission PMI.

Time: 7PM-9PM, Location : PMI crushing Time oFF-ice.
The object in this Project was, complex most object ever encountered by me. I had some discussion over the object and decided to part to where i can complete.
The object had troubled my visualization of object in terms of code. I mainly try to see the functionality of object in terms of code which could be used to replace it, but one or anther reason i was not able furnish it. So i was trying to do this in blocks.
I had faced one good thing about this object, that is when ever we had discussion over this object, we encountered new issues.
So i started formulating some working logic and continued working over it.

Time: 9PM-11:59PM, Location : crushing Time Continue oFF-ice.
As i already lost the appetite for dinner i decided continue to work in PMI.
As the logic formulated after a long discussion i started the coding as well as to keep myself awake, i ran the music loud. Loud music help reduce other noise and helps me attaining good concentration.
I completed lots of portions of code but during coding another lots of doubts got generated as well.

Day two : 30th august 2007,Time: 12AM-1AM, Location : Postmortem result time Off-ice.
After hell of mind exhausting work in PMI i planned to see the results of QA results for the morning object in nestle.
Good: got some good valid points as well as some confused points as well. Summing up all the points, the postmortem was cherish full. So I decided to complete them.
Guess what all this time I was all alone in the office working over these issues, been accompanied by my room mate prakash ranjan for his some urgent work. Ahh!! a sign of peace.

I fixed all the issues provided by them. I was little surprised how all this time i was able to work with no sleep, last night in train and no rest through out the day. Well i believe that how i am built in.

Time: 2AM-4AM, Location : Hard Work Time oFF-ice.
I patched up all the issues and was planning to leave, but then suddenly the new object specification came to my view lying over my desk. The attention was sufficient for me remind that i still have some work left for completion.
My brain started automatically started thinking of logic thou i wanted to leave but at the same time i was planning what am i suppose to code. At one point i was discussing with me whether should i leave or continue to work and simultaneously i was working on the code. Only god knows the body wanted to sleep and brain hushed me to continue the work.
Finally coming back to my principle of job: When you have work to do, don't get biased by time.
Suddenly all my agony went away and thing became very clear. I closed my eyes and sensed the same morning smell, the one i felt when i reached flat early last morning. The things were so clear, no pain and sleepy eye ahh! seemed to gone.
I continued to work the new object and wrapped it up with complete coding and testing along with documented results and specification.

Time: 4AM-5AM, Location : Wrap up oFF-ice.
The coding done, documentation done only thing left was to send the new object to postmortem
and for that a profile was needed and i had no idea how to create one. This profile creation had already created one chaos for me and i was not in the mood to mess it.
I called my roommate prakash ranjan over phone who was working too. He knew these things.. and with his help i was able to complete my first profile successfully.
I sent the object for QA using profile and the clock clicked to 5AM: one day before i was in howrah station at this time, irony isn't.

Finally i was closing oFF the oFF-ice for the day.

End of ........."Twenty-2 hrs 2 oFF-ice"........

Time: 5AM-10AM, Location : Sleepy beauty...sweet dreams.
Time to bed. I and prakash ranjan both left for the home and last thing i remember was falling over the bed and then i was not able to recollect any dreams or morning bell call by dudhwala bhiaya (Milk man) or news paper boy. I believe, i was dead slept.
But i woke by 9:45AM why and how, i just had no clue. May be when i was going for bed i just told to myself that i wanna woke up at 10 AM.

Well what so ever be the case i was ready for office by 10:30 and been to office by 10:45AM
and work goes on and onnnn......

One hell of 22 hrs to office, i believe i cannot forgot it, So i blogged it for you all.
I do like to know what do U felt about this.............

6 comments:

Nishant Neeraj said...

Masto post. Past paced. :)
your post has been added to VIrtual Wing
countdown-24-dharmu-on-fire.html

-nishant

Manzoor said...

Dharmu, my very dear brother - your blog seemed to me as a true representation of real hectic & busy professional life. Don't worry - everything is destined - so you will definitely meet that person whom you do wish to be with you :)

Unknown said...

Really impressed not only with ur time and work but the way u written the blog............
Dharmu bhayya there is a good writer within u , Really !!
but one thing, Jo abhi tak clear nahi hua hai 'Ye Blog writing me kitna time laga n is it included in those 22 hr. OR........? :)

Voice said...

Dharmu i was not able to understand the significance of 'Off'-ice 'oFF'-ice?? need some light there
(so answer it please)

good to see u blogging. will add ur link in my blog

------------

long blog yaar.. just like ur long day

golmal ki tarah kya? jab kaam ho to ghari ka muh nhi dekhna chahiye?

main to itne me soo jata :)

Jake_Sully said...

Yooo...Dharmu... Dharmu has exemplified the meaning of energy yet again... not just by working at a stretch for 22 hrs but also by writing this chinese-wall blog...
All hail Dharmu... great blog be... keep writing. Dharmu tune apni love story abhi mujhe adhi hi batayi hai... pura kab karega??

Pavan said...

After readin your blog i can say one thing u can be a good writer..
anyways for other its not a story its a real thing he has worked regular 22 hrs. Its showing how much energy he has, How sincere he is, and how much he loves to do work..

Dharmu keep it up...

And to express ur feeling taking help of Blog is a good thing..
but koi dhundh lo yar that will be better.. ;)